New Directions in Pan Music
Hillbridge was formed in the summer of 1996 by James Leyden and J. Marc Svaline. Both of these educators have been involved in the steel drum art form for many years. Their steel bands have played at every major educational music convention in the United States and performed in Europe on several occasions.
To encourage and assist in the development of successful steel drum programs in schools, universities and communities, these two men saw a need for steel band music selected and arranged for the educational market. The result is Hillbridge, dedicated to the promotion of steel drums as legitimate concert instruments.
The improvement in the crafting and tuning of today's steel drums has added new dimensions to their sound quality. Ellie Mannette's dream of steel drum ensembles playing elegant and beautiful music can at long last be realized.
The Hillbridge New Directions Music Catalog features not only the high energy music of Trinidad's Carnival but also a range of music world-wide which celebrates the advanced tonal possibilities of the modern instruments.
It is a unique collection including Latin, Folk, Pop, Jazz, Socas, Calypsos, and Classics arranged by some of the most creative people in the art form.
Of particular interest to choral directors and to further integrate the music curriculum, Hillbridge offers many arrangements combining steel drums with vocal and instrumental ensembles.
Our roster of composers, arrangers and educators currently includes:
Drawing on the talent of these dedicated Pan people, we are confident that our goals will be successfully reached.
- Ed Anderson - Professional pan player, arranger and educator.
- Mike Bento - Arranger and Educator.
- Dan Harrison - Arranger and Professor of Music, Eastman/Rochester
- Gary Gibson - Professional pan player, clinician, composer and arranger.
- Robert Greenidge - Composer, arranger, featured pan-soloist on Jimmy Buffet concerts.
- Franz Grissom - A fine arranger and former leader of the U.S. Navy Steel Band.
- Ray Holman - One of Trinidad's top composers.
- James Leyden - A gifted composer and arranger dedicated to advancing the art form.
- Charlene Lusk - A music educator and arranger.
- Tom Miller - A professional Pan player, clinician, composer and arranger.
- Jeff Narell - A professional Pan player, clinician, composer and arranger.
- Barbara Porter - Active in introducing children to the fundamentals of music and the joy of playing Pan.
- Mark Repasky - Mark Repasky holds Bachelor of Music and Master of Music degrees from the College Conservatory of Music, University of Cincinnati. Finding pan music suitable for worship services gradually became a problem as very little music of this type is available from publishers. So, Mark began arranging and composing for steel pans. His goal has been to create interesting and fun-to-play pans music in a religious setting. Hillbridge is pleased to provide this collection of Mark Repasky's sacred music for steel pans. All selections are suitable for worship services or other church events.
- J. Marc Svaline - A music educator and leading exponent of promoting Pan in music education.
*Hillbridge will entertain any contribution to our catalog - please contact us for more information. We invite you to submit your arrangements for consideration of future publication.